cornelia freeman young musician award
Nominees of this award may be submitted by the Conductors of the South Carolina Philharmonic Youth Orchestras or by any current member of the Symphony League of the South Carolina Philharmonic. The recipient of the award will be selected by members of the Symphony League Education Committee, including the Symphony League President. Two Honorable Mention certificates will also be awarded from those nominated.
• A young musician that exemplifies the highest standard of musicianship in the South Carolina Philharmonic Youth Orchestras (SCPYO).
• The SCPYO member exemplifies a desire and ability to achieve a high level of excellence of musicianship.
• The SCPYO member exhibits dedication to consistent practice preparation before rehearsals.
• The SCPYO member achieves consistent growth in musicianship.
• The SCPYO member displays use of the ability to listen and focus to accomplish the conductor’s goals for the rehearsals.
• The SCPYO member shows leadership qualities within their own instrumental group as well as the orchestra as a whole.
• The SCPYO member exhibits a talent and ability for performing excellence.
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Symphony League of the South Carolina Philharmonic, an annual award will be presented to a young musician of the South Carolina Philharmonic Youth Orchestras (SCPYO) that exemplifies the highest standards of musicianship. The recipient may be a member of the Strings Orchestra, the Repertory Orchestra or the Youth Orchestra.
The award is named in honor of Cornelia Freeman, a dedicated and generous Past President of the Symphony League. This award will be presented by the Symphony League President or the Symphony League Education Chair at a performance of the South Carolina Philharmonic Youth Orchestra (SCPYO).